While we’re looking at Barney’s this week, let’s look across the street. Well, if you look there today, you’ll just see a giant hole where the former Robinson’s furniture buildings were. Before Robinson’s, one of the buildings was the Dan A. Donohue men’s clothing chain; the other was Davidson’s.
According to the 1888 “The Empire State: Its Industries and Wealth,” “Mr. J.E. Davidson, the popular and well-known clothier, hatter and gents’ furnisher, has long been an accepted leader in his special line of mercantile activity. The enterprise was inaugurated thirty-five years ago  by Mr. Davidson, and has under his energetic management been steadily successful from the outset. His patronage is derived from all parts of the surrounding country, and is of an influential and permanent character. The premises utilized consist of a double store, 35 x 100 feet in dimensions, and fitted up with tasteful appointments throughout, while every convenience and accommodation has been provided for the reception of customers and the handling of stock. The counters and shelves are burdened with a very extensive assortment of superior ready-made clothing for men, youths, boys and children, all in the latest fashions and illustrating the current demand. The display of hats and caps embraces the newest styles in men’s and boys’ headwear, while the showing in gents’ furnishing goods is complete in every particular and are marked down at remarkably cheap prices. Mr. Davidson, though a native of Germany, has resided in the United States the greater part of his life, having come here in 1848. He has made his home in this city for the past thirty-eight years.”
In 1903 an edition of “The American Hatter” noted that “The hat and clothing business of the late J.E. Davidson, Schenectady, N.Y., will hereafter be conducted by Mr. Davidson’s sons, David and Frederick, under the firm name of Julius E. Davidson’s Sons.” On February 1, 1905, fire swept the block, causing an estimated $200,000 in losses, with Davidson’s bearing the brunt of it. In 1908, the death of David Davidson resulted in the sale of $85,000 in stock, representing his half-interest in the business. If the photo from the Daily Gazette is dated correctly, Davidson’s went out of business in February 1928. The building died in 2007, unable to be saved from imminent collapse.