The Flint Granite Company had its office and works at the Albany Rural Cemetery. As noted in this 1902 ad, it succeeded the James Gazeley company which was established in 1861. Arden A. Flint came from Barre, Vermont, the granite memorial capital, and took over Gazeley’s business around 1898. It also consolidated the businesses of C.B. Canfield (New York), Railway Granite Co. (Barre), Sanborn Granite Co. (Utica), and J.W. McMullen (Schenectady).
A 1905 booklet of their work can still be found, and it turns out Flint made some of our favorite memorials, in Albany Rural Cemetery, Troy’s Oakwood Cemetery, and more.
In 1909, “Stone” (“A Monthly Publication Dedicated to the Stone Industry in All Its Branches”) reported that “Arden A. Flint, who founded and was for nine years general manager of the Flint Granite Company, Albany, N.Y., has severed his connection with that company. He becomes general manager of the Empire Monument Company, with offices in New York and Albany. The company will cut and manufacture granite at its quarries in Barre, Vt. . . . Mr. Flint is one of the best-known granite men in the business.” He was killed in an automobile accident in 1912.