If you have any love of Albany, cemeteries, or the past, look at Paula’s wonderful Albany Church Grounds Project. She’s putting a huge amount of effort into telling the tales of these denizens of the Albany Rural Cemetery. It’s just fabulous.
Fuller, Warren & Co. was a major manufacturer of stoves in Troy, at a time when the Capital District was the national center of stove making. This billhead from The Biggert Collection of Architectural Vignettes on Commercial Stationery shows their riverfront factory in Troy. The works, originally Johnson, Cox & Fuller, and known as the Clinton Foundry, was along the river between Madison and Monroe Streets, an industrial area just below the Poestenkill. Their offices and showroom were at 257 River Street, in the Monument Square area.
They held the patents of Philo Stewart, who had perfected the cast iron kitchen cooking stove in 1838, and sold their stoves as “Stewart’s Air-Tight” summer and winter cooking stoves. As a leader in the industry, they were wary of having their stoves copied outright — so wary that they presented on their billhead this admonition: “For use as a manufactured article and not as a pattern to cast from.” So be warned!
The company went out of business in 1934, and its last president, William H. Warren, died in 1951.