We recently ran across this picture we took 10 years ago of a fading sign for parking for the WGY Coin & Stamp Company of Schenectady. This was affixed to the side of the building at the corner of State and South Ferry, now gone. WGY Coin and Stamp was long a fixture at 120 State Street, and later at 142, though as nothing more than the most amateur of schoolboy philatelists, we rarely ventured inside. Unlike the grocery stores that licensed the name, we don’t find an indication of any particular relationship between the numismatic dealer and its namesake radio station. While we have found at least two gentlemen associated with it who have passed on in recent years, we found little on the business or its ownership. In a 1970 edition of the Gazette, it was listed as one of Schenectady’s businesses that had been around for under five years, putting its genesis somewhere after 1965.
Time was when there were many, many local soda manufacturers. Yes, the national brands existed, but every city had a […]
Since we recently featured the old Schenectady Public Library, which sat at the corner of Union Street and Seward Place […]
Still in the Electric City, looking at lovely postcard views – here, the classic building that housed the Schenectady Public […]
Last time, we looked up Schenectady’s State Street from the railroad bridge, probably sometime in the late ’30s or ’40s. […]
Let’s leave Albany for a while and look at the Electric City. Another view from the Tichnor Collection at Digitalcommonwealth.org, […]
The November 1916 issue of “The Elevator Constructor,” the official organ of the International Union of Elevator Constructors (part of […]