This is an advertising card that appeared in Easton, Pennsylvania, sometime around 1870. It was printed for a local retailer, which may be how it actually gets the name of Thomas Fearey & Sons entirely wrong, calling the firm instead “Joseph Frarey & Son.”
Well, if you can’t get the manufacturer’s name right, is anything else in the ad true?
We’ve spoken of Fearey before. Howell’s tome on 1886 Albany has this to say:
“Fearey Manufacturing Company – This, the largest boot and shoe manufactory in Albany, was founded by Thomas Fearey in 1844. Up to 1854 goods were manufactured only to supply the several retail stores conducted by the founder. In this year the manufacture of boots and shoes was begun at the foot of Beaver street to supply the wholesale trade. In 1865, his two sons, Thomas H. and George D. Fearey, became associated with the founder under the firm name of Thomas Fearey & Sons. At this time large apartments were secured at Nos. 51 and 53 Liberty street. In 1867 the firm purchased the building Nos. 9 and 11 Liberty street, and removed to that location. These frequent removals were made for the purpose of accommodating their growing business, but this last location was soon found too small, and in 1869 they completed and first occupied their present quarters on Union, Division and Liberty streets. This plant covers nearly an entire square, upon which are erected two large four-story brick buildings. The capacity of the factory is about one thousand five hundred pairs of shoes per day. About five hundred operatives are employed.”