When the Erie Canal was originally constructed, it didn’t use any of the existing rivers – natural waterways didn’t work well with the need for predictable water levels and mule paths for hauling barges. But the layout of the canal required crossing rivers, and so there were aqueducts. One of them was at a place that is still known as Aqueduct, commemorated by this marker.
So many things to stare at on this beautiful map of Rexford and Aqueduct Crossing, from somewhere after 1842 when […]
We worry sometimes that in this digital age, knowledge of the world as it is is ephemeral. Perhaps this will […]
This billhead is from what was then one of Schenectady’s most prominent businesses, G.G. Maxon & Son. They owned a […]