1862: “At Mohawkville, in the town of Rotterdam, situated 2-1/2 miles south of Schenectady, one of the healthiest and most splendid locations for a village in the state, is the thread and twine manufactory of Henry M. Crane.
“The number of inhabitants at present is about 300. The grounds of Mr. Crane are superb, being laid out in parks and magnificent drives of various lengths. Mr. C’s business we find, extends through every state in the Union. Persons wishing a nice drive will be very much gratified and surprised at the beauty which this little village affords, and will always find Mr. C. willing and ready to show them through his grounds.”
Not sure where Mohawkville was, or whether Henry Crane is related to Cranesville (which is on the north side of the river).
UPDATE: From Thomas Morgan, we are given the following information that locates Mohawkville very nicely:
This is an old post, but for anyone interested… Henry Crane was the son of Jonathan Crane (the namesake of Crane St in Schdy & Rotterdam). It was Jonathan who originally built factories for oil but Henry changed production to twine after his death. These factories were mostly across from the Advance Auto parts store on Altamont Ave. Mohawkville was his estate which extended from the Rotterdam side of the RR bridge on Crane St, along Altamont ave nearly all the way to Curry Rd. The post-war housing development that exists there today was named Mohawkville Heights. Part of the original Mohawkville was cut off in 1902 on the west side of Altamont Ave. by the RR track that is elevated on a mound. It is known as the Carman Cutoff.