No doubt this factory on the edge of the lumber district produced slightly more modest bedsteads. Rufus Viele was president of the Albany Mechanics Institute, and of the YMCA. He lost ten bedsteads, a crib and a cradle in the fire at New York City’s Crystal Palace in 1858, where he was among the many exhibitors at the Fair of the American Institute.
As noted before, until what is now known as the Livingston Avenue Bridge opened in 1866, Albanians or Greenbushians who […]
Hoxsie can rarely be accused of linear thinking. Having covered the life of the Albany basin (which we did here, […]
One last look at the old Albany waterfront. On July 3, 1955, the Times-Union touted a new look for the […]
Somewhere around 1949, the Albany Yacht Club buildings were sold for use as a Naval Reserve Center, and the club […]
In writing about the rise and fall (or fill) of the Albany Basin, a major part of Albany’s waterfront history […]
From the classified pages of the Times-Union in 1921, a pair of what seem (to our modern sensibilities, anyway) shockingly […]